Over the weekend I decided I wanted to take a stab at making my own granola bars. I liked the idea of making my own because I could put what I wanted in them and control the amount of sugar.
Ingredients:
2c. rolled oats
1c. whole wheat flour
~1/3c. oil (I used olive but more on that later)
~1/2c. honey
pecan pieces
sunflower seeds
chopped dried apricots
dried cranberries
1. Mix dry ingredients, fruit and nuts together.
2. Add oil and honey
3. Mix in water until it holds together
4. Press into greased jelly roll pan at desired thickness.
5. Bake at 350F until brown on top and mostly dry.
6. Let cool about 15 minutes then cut and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
The Verdict:
4/5
Good, chewy texture but funny tasting due to the oil. I forgot I didn't have any canola or other relatively flavorless oil, so I made do. But in the future I'll be sure to make it with canola oil. It may also be good with a nut oil to complement the nuts in the bars. They may also benefit from some more honey or the addition of a little salt. Definitely I will continue tweaking this recipe.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.