18 May 2011

Spring Cleaning

This post at Martha Stewart's green living website got me on a spring cleaning kick this week.  Well, that and the completion of this semester at USF.  So far I have washed down the blinds and the insides of the windows, and done some basic upkeep on the kitchen.  As I look forward to more spring cleaning projects, I bring you this compendium of green cleaning tips for all your spring cleaning needs.

Re-Nest (www.renest.com) is good for all sorts of green ideas, from repurposing to cleaning to the latest products.  Behold their green clean makeover for the kitchen.  And if you want more green clean makeovers, just check out the links at the bottom of that page.

Some people think that homemade cleaners are a pain to make, but I find them to be useful (and cheap!).  I also find that they don't give me a headache from fumes.  Below are a few of my favorite pantry staples (and some personal care staples too) turned into cleaning products.
  • Drain cleaner: Pour 1/2 c. baking soda down the drain.  Follow with 1/2 c. white vinegar and 1 c. boiling water.  The vinegar makes the baking soda foam all the way down, coating the pipes, and the chemical reaction creates carbon dioxide and sodium acetate, which do some scrubbing action all the way down.
  • Dis-infecting all-purpose cleaner: 2 c. water, 1 c. hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 c. lemon juice (or white vinegar in a pinch).  The hydrogen peroxide kills little germies, but it's a bleaching agent.  So be careful if the material you are cleaning is easily bleached--test it on an inconspicuous area first.
  • All-purpose scrub: 1/2 c. baking soda and enough dish soap to make a paste.  Scrub on and wash the soap off.  If using in the shower, I suggest spraying down the shower with white vinegar first, to break down the soap scum before you start to scrub.
  • Stove & oven cleaner: baking soda and warm water mixed into a paste.  Spread on, leave for 15 minutes, and wash off.  Pour boiling water on any particularly difficult areas before scrubbing to help break up the grime.
Well, those are all I can think of for now.  I'm sure there will be more cleaning posts in the future, as I find my favorite recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.