02 July 2011

Buckwheat Crêpes

While visiting my sister, I have had the opportunity to work on my gluten free cooking.  So tonight I made buckwheat crêpes with savory fillings.  I used the Mark Bittman recipe for crêpes, simply substituting buckwheat flour for the all-purpose.  Because of dietary issues, I also omitted the small amount of sugar from the recipe.

Ingredients:
1 cup flour
pinch salt
1 1/4 milk
2 eggs
2 T. melted butter, cooled

Directions:
1.  Whisk dry ingredients together.
2.  Add wet ingedients to the dry, and whisk until smooth.
3.  Let batter rest for at least 10 minutes in the fridge.
4.  Heat a skillet on medium high heat and give it a quick spray of oil.
5.  Pour a scant 1/4 cup of batter in the pan and swirl to coat.
6.  Cook until the top is dry and the edges lift from the pan.
7.  Flip and cook the other side for an additional minute.

Top with fried eggs, goat cheese, wilted spinach or mixed vegetables of your choice.  You can also make them sweet crêpes by filling them with chocolate, friut, and whipped cream.

The Verdict:
5/5 stars
The simplicity and versatility of this recipe is part of what makes this recipe so wonderful.  Buckwheat flour is the traditional flour for savory crêpes in France, and it gives a depth of flavor that is hard to beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.